Yippee Calloo Callay!

You have reached the foot hill of the mountains.
You are most welcome
More than worthy
.

Thursday 9 September 2010

The ghost in Sheffield sitting on a bench.

The ghost in Sheffield sitting on a bench


I might look like I’m sitting on a bench alone
But I’m not alone
I’m sitting with me memory
Eileen’s memory

Look at this upstart who’s just sat next me
If he was dressed like that back when I was young
Both his ears would sting
Odd socks and trousers, jeans
Worn so baggily
A pair of pink boxers
Such an ugly sight to be
Sitting on me memory

"Nice day,"
A surprise he speaks kindly, gently
"My names Tom this is a lovely place,"
He looks out over the botanical gardens
And sighs inwardly
His eyes I can tell by the look in his eyes
That he is also not alone
This boy's sitting with a memory too

"This is my wife’s bench," I turn and say
"Her name was Eileen."
Tom the gentle lad on the bench beside me
He listens so carefully
Looks out on the gardens so I speak freely
Occasionally he turns his head at just the right times
So I know yes I know that were sharing
A real moment

He looks me in the eye I look right back
It's been such a long time that someone's talked to me like a real person
Not dismissed me as that old man
With the horrible scab on his nose
That I actually feel glad to be a human being again
I go on to tell Tom how I used to work at the butchers
When I was a kid about his age
Do you know what
I tell him nearly all my history

Whilst he’s sitting there, he’s not bored,
In fact we began chatting along quite merrily
Just like old pals
A smile cracks his face and mine well just a little
I open up
Tell how I used to run meat up the hill to the butchers shop

“You get strong ankles in these parts
Good steel and strong legs
That’s what Sheffield’s famous for,”
It’s true, that’s just what I said

Together Tom and I sitting on the bench share some memories
Our chat slides along from loved ones gone
To life so tenderly
We move onto subjects
Like the orchids growing in the glass house behind us

Tom asks,
"Would you like a cup of tea"
I say
"Why not?"
"Just a little bit of milk please"

Back at home I’m dozing in me chair on me own
Thinking he’s young is Tom, in this world that’s grown so rapidly
Maybe it’s spinning out of reach
But I do know that there’s a lot of benches and nearly everyone has memories
Not long now till we’ll be together again Eileen
This dusty old carpet won’t feel the tread of me feet much longer
And Tom well he’s got plenty more years left in him than I do
It’s a cherishing thought that after I’m gone
He’ll be there
Sitting, not alone, on your bench where we both first met
in Sheffield's botanical gardens

I know if a certain type of stranger sits down beside him
Then that kind hearted Tom why he’ll listen gently
Maybe even get up like he did that day
Go to the cafe on the corner by the gate
To buy us both a cup of hot tea
Two sugars for him, a splash of milk for me
Good old Tom sitting there sharing our memories.
Sort of makes me want to,
Well it will keep both me and you alive, even though were gone
Won’t it?

Do you know Eileen the day I met Tom, it made feel so good to be a human being again,
That I don't feel lonely
and I’m not afraid to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment